Everyone is looking to get a discount these days, once you’ve used a voucher code to save money on your online shopping, you’ll want to do it again and again. While you love voucher codes, you may not know everything there is to know about them. Here are 9 things you didn’t know about voucher codes.
1. The very first coupon was created in 1887 by the Coca Cola Company, who gave out free coupons to their employees to distribute to their families. Within ten years, one in nine Americans had received a free drink through a complimentary coupon, putting Coca Cola very firmly on the map.
2. In the USA, coupon collecting is a way of life and has been since before the second world war. Any retailer not offering coupons will struggle to build a loyal customer base.
3. Retailers in the USA often use discount coupons to promote new products. This is the exact opposite of the UK, where new products are generally sold at a higher price.
4. 58% of British shoppers said they used e-vouchers when Christmas shopping in 2009, according to a survey commissioned by the website Voucher Hub.
5. The most popular voucher code with customers is a free delivery voucher. It seems no-one likes to pay for delivery when shopping online.
6. Customers seem to feel more comfortable knowing exactly how much discount a voucher code will give them. For this reason, voucher codes offering a fixed discount like $10 off are more popular than percentage discounts.
7. Most voucher codes have a shelf life. To avoid disappointment, always check the expiration date before you try to use one. Sites like Money Saving Voucher Codes only display valid codes that you can use right now.
8. The majority of online shoppers like to make their purchases at the start of the week. Statistics reveal that online shoppers are most active on Monday evenings. Despite this clear shopping trend, most retailers release their best voucher offers on Friday afternoons as a way to try and boost weekend sales figures!
9. Voucher codes are now available on smartphones, meaning there is no longer any need to print off a paper copy. Save time and paper by downloading a code to your phone, then just show it to your waiter or sales assistant to claim the discount.